What happened to genunix.org?

Cathleen Reiher
I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
and it's vanished!

Is there any way for me to retrieve my content so that I can
publish it in an alternate way? Thanks!

                                     Cathleen.

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Shawn Walker-2
On 02/01/12 10:06, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
> I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
> project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
> and it's vanished!
>
> Is there any way for me to retrieve my content so that I can
> publish it in an alternate way? Thanks!

You can try getting the content using web.archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110726090512/http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

-Shawn

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Cathleen Reiher
Thanks, Shawn. This looks to be the place!

                          Cathleen.

On 02/01/12 10:16, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On 02/01/12 10:06, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
>> I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
>> project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
>> and it's vanished!
>>
>> Is there any way for me to retrieve my content so that I can
>> publish it in an alternate way? Thanks!
>
> You can try getting the content using web.archive.org:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110726090512/http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>

> -Shawn

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Alan Coopersmith-2
On 02/ 1/12 10:06 AM, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
> I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
> project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
> and it's vanished!

genunix.org was a resource provided by several community members
and hosted by the ISC non-profit - any of whom may have decided
that it was no longer fulfilling it's original mission of supporting
an active open source OS project, but until they speak up, all we
can do is guess at why it's gone now.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        [hidden email]

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Will Fiveash-2
On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:16:10AM -0800, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On 02/01/12 10:06, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
> >I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
> >project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
> >and it's vanished!
> >
> >Is there any way for me to retrieve my content so that I can
> >publish it in an alternate way? Thanks!
>
> You can try getting the content using web.archive.org:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20110726090512/http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

When I used the above to search for a webpage that I had bookmarked as:
http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSolaris_Cheatsheet

I get:
Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

bummer.
--
Will Fiveash
Oracle Solaris Software Engineer

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Joerg Schilling
Will Fiveash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:16:10AM -0800, Shawn Walker wrote:
> > On 02/01/12 10:06, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
> > >I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
> > >project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
> > >and it's vanished!

> I get:
> Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

Well, there seems to be no quick help.

The original IP is 204.152.191.104 according to netcraft, but this IP is not
rachable.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[hidden email] (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       [hidden email]                (uni)

On 02/01/12 12:44, Will Fiveash wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:16:10AM -0800, Shawn Walker wrote:
>> On 02/01/12 10:06, Cathleen Reiher wrote:
>>> I had some troubleshooting material about the Solaris CIFS
>>> project published on genunix.org. I tried to get to it yesterday,
>>> and it's vanished!
>>>
>>> Is there any way for me to retrieve my content so that I can
>>> publish it in an alternate way? Thanks!
>>
>> You can try getting the content using web.archive.org:
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20110726090512/http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> When I used the above to search for a webpage that I had bookmarked as:
> http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSolaris_Cheatsheet
>
> I get:
> Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100906114728/http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSolaris_Cheatsheet

-Shawn

Re: What happened to genunix.org?

Paul Gress
On 02/ 1/12 04:26 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:
[...]

A quick "whois genunix.org" yielded Dennis Clarke as the owner.  It makes sense since when I enter www.genunix.org I get some sort of page from Blastwave.  More then half the pages at Blastwave don't work, there may be some problem with the server and just plain neglect in repairing them.

Paul

Paul Gress <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A quick "whois genunix.org" yielded Dennis Clarke as the owner.  It makes sense since when I enter www.genunix.org I get some sort of page from Blastwave.  More then half the pages at Blastwave don't work, there may be some problem with the server and just plain neglect in repairing them.

Dennis is the owner of the domain but not the owner of the machine.

It seems that the DNS entry was changed after the hardware went offline.

Jörg