Solaris 11 and Samba and change ACL do not work

Solaris 11 and Samba and change ACL do not work

Andrew Watkins-2-3

Hi,

I will try here as my first port of call.

I am using Samba to server files to our Windows users and I want them to
change permissions of files so they can give access to other users.

Before any says anything I am doing this in a ZONE so CIFS server is not
available in Solaris zones.

Well, it does not seem to work and I have followed a few blog entries
but they all give the same result:

- Edit file properties
- Add user to Windows Security Tab and select Apply:
        "Unable to save permission changes on MyFile.txt"
        "Access is denied"

Should this be a problem?

The blog entries I have followed (why are they never 100% complete!)

http://blog.mc-thias.org/?title=registering-a-samba-solaris-10-server-as-a-ms-ad-member&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://blog.allanglesit.com/2011/03/solaris-11-join-ad-domain-for-samba/

Any pointers?

Cheers,

--
Andrew Watkins * Birkbeck College
http://notallmicrosoft.blogspot.com/

Re: Solaris 11 and Samba and change ACL do not work

Chris Ridd-2

On 9 Dec 2011, at 16:05, Andrew Watkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will try here as my first port of call.
>
> I am using Samba to server files to our Windows users and I want them to change permissions of files so they can give access to other users.
>
> Before any says anything I am doing this in a ZONE so CIFS server is not available in Solaris zones.
>
> Well, it does not seem to work and I have followed a few blog entries but they all give the same result:
>
> - Edit file properties
> - Add user to Windows Security Tab and select Apply:
> "Unable to save permission changes on MyFile.txt"
> "Access is denied"
>
> Should this be a problem?
>
> The blog entries I have followed (why are they never 100% complete!)
>
> http://blog.mc-thias.org/?title=registering-a-samba-solaris-10-server-as-a-ms-ad-member&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
>
> http://blog.allanglesit.com/2011/03/solaris-11-join-ad-domain-for-samba/
>
> Any pointers?

Are you using "vfs objects = zfsacl" ?

This <http://nineproductions.com/technology/14-sun-solaris/65-solaris-11-samba-zfs-configuration.html> looks useful...

Chris

Re: Solaris 11 and Samba and change ACL do not work

Andrew Watkins-2-3

Thanks Chris that solved it.

I had followed that before but I missed the "vfs objects = zfsacl" part.
Teach me to skip information.

I also used the "idmap config" whiched help with my mapping of AD and
LDAP. ref:
http://blogs.oracle.com/jurasek/entry/even_more_simple_configuration

Cheers,

Andrew

On 13 Dec 2011, at 11:54, Andrew Watkins wrote:

> Thanks Chris that solved it.
>
> I had followed that before but I missed the "vfs objects = zfsacl" part. Teach me to skip information.

Cool. Have you managed to make your ZFS time-slider snapshots visible using the vfs shadow_copy2 (?) facility?