SASL support in sendmail

Andrew Watkins-2-3

I know this is a Solaris 11 point, but I thought still good place to
post questions just in cas ethe answer is out there.

I thought I would set-up Solaris 11 version of Sendmail with AUTH SASL,
but when I got to the final part, I get the error:

# /usr/lib/sendmail -d0  -bt < /dev/null
Version 8.14.5+Sun
  Compiled with: DNSMAP LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8
                MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX
                NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS
                USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT XDEBUG

Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)

But I thought that Solaris game with SASL? There is some old 2010
support docs which say download Cyrus SASL and sendmail and compile it
yourself, but I was hoping to avoid this.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: SASL support in sendmail

John Beck-3
Andrew> I know this is a Solaris 11 point, but I thought still good place to
Andrew> post questions just in cas ethe answer is out there.

Andrew> I thought I would set-up Solaris 11 version of Sendmail with AUTH
Andrew> SASL, but when I got to the final part, I get the error:

Andrew> # /usr/lib/sendmail -d0  -bt < /dev/null
Andrew> Version 8.14.5+Sun
Andrew>   Compiled with: DNSMAP LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8
Andrew> MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX
Andrew> NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS
Andrew> USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT XDEBUG

Andrew> Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
Andrew> Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)

Andrew> But I thought that Solaris game with SASL? There is some old 2010
Andrew> support docs which say download Cyrus SASL and sendmail and compile
Andrew> it yourself, but I was hoping to avoid this.

Andrew> Any comments?

Solaris' libsasl is partially crippled, making it unsuitable for sendmail to
use for SMTP Authentication.  As such, Solaris' sendmail is neither compiled
with -DSASL nor linked with libsasl.  There is talk of possibly fixing this,
but I do not know if that will happen, much less when.

-- John

http://blogs.oracle.com/jbeck/