Oracle Solaris 11 install trouble, NVIDIA

Oracle Solaris 11 install trouble, NVIDIA

Paul Gress
Following previous messages, to get Solaris Express 11 updated I had to run:

pkg uninstall 'pkg://opensolaris.org/*' \
> 'pkg://contrib.opensolaris.org/*' \
> 'pkg://jucr.opensolaris.org/*' \
> 'pkg://Multimedia/*' \
> 'pkg://kdeips-dev/*' \
> 'pkg://ips.enst.fr/*'

This basically cleaned out all the troublesome packages.  I am a little disappointed have had to remove KDE.

Now after a successful update, trying to boot I get:

/kernel/drv/amd64/nvidia: undefined symbol 'pm_destroy_components'
warning: mod_load: cannot load module 'nvidia'

(please note, this message may not be exact, as I wrote it down and typed in in after I booted into another environment)

Basically it just locks up right there and doesn't proceed any further.  I suppose it means I need to remove my latest nvidia driver that I had upgraded manually to.  I guess it's going to get a little messy, since I now need to work on a non-booted boot environment now.

Can anybody think of a simpler solution?
Am I attacking this correctly?

I'll get back to this on Sunday.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Oracle Solaris 11 install trouble, NVIDIA

John Martin-4
On 11/10/11 21:09, Paul Gress wrote:

> /kernel/drv/amd64/nvidia: undefined symbol 'pm_destroy_components'
> warning: mod_load: cannot load module 'nvidia'

You are using an old NVIDIA driver without the fix for IR 842949.
Either use the bundled driver for Solaris 11 or any driver from
nvidia.com posted after late summer.

On 11/11/11 01:15 PM, John Martin wrote:
On 11/10/11 21:09, Paul Gress wrote:

/kernel/drv/amd64/nvidia: undefined symbol 'pm_destroy_components'
warning: mod_load: cannot load module 'nvidia'

You are using an old NVIDIA driver without the fix for IR 842949.
Either use the bundled driver for Solaris 11 or any driver from
nvidia.com posted after late summer.

Thanks John,  I'll probably get the Latest NVIDIA driver.

Re: Oracle Solaris 11 install trouble, NVIDIA

Shawn Walker-2
On 11/10/11 18:09, Paul Gress wrote:

> Following previous messages, to get Solaris Express 11 updated I had to run:
>
> pkg uninstall 'pkg://opensolaris.org/*' \
>  > 'pkg://contrib.opensolaris.org/*' \
>  > 'pkg://jucr.opensolaris.org/*' \
>  > 'pkg://Multimedia/*' \
>  > 'pkg://kdeips-dev/*' \
>  > 'pkg://ips.enst.fr/*'
>

> This basically cleaned out all the troublesome packages. I am a little
> disappointed have had to remove KDE.

Yes, you'll have to remove it until they update the packages.

I believe someone else already responded that you need to use the newest
nVidia driver -- either the one included or the one on nVidia's website
currently.

-Shawn

Re: Oracle Solaris 11 install trouble, NVIDIA

Blai Bonet
Shawn Walker <shawn.walker@...> writes:

> On 11/10/11 18:09, Paul Gress wrote:
> > Following previous messages, to get Solaris Express 11 updated I had to run:
> >
> > pkg uninstall 'pkg://opensolaris.org/*' \
> >  > 'pkg://contrib.opensolaris.org/*' \
> >  > 'pkg://jucr.opensolaris.org/*' \
> >  > 'pkg://Multimedia/*' \
> >  > 'pkg://kdeips-dev/*' \
> >  > 'pkg://ips.enst.fr/*'
> >

> > This basically cleaned out all the troublesome packages. I am a little
> > disappointed have had to remove KDE.
>
> Yes, you'll have to remove it until they update the packages.
>
> I believe someone else already responded that you need to use the newest
> nVidia driver -- either the one included or the one on nVidia's website
> currently.
>
> -Shawn

Hi,

I'm also having trouble with the nvidia driver. I installed Solaris 11 11/11
in a Sun Ultra 20. Everything went fine until installing the desktop.
Afterwards, I get kernel panics (and crash dumps) when using the supplied
nividia driver. However, the "nv" driver doesn't cause panics.  Unfortunately,
the desktop won't run ok with the nv driver because it doesn't support the glx
extension.

I downloaded the driver from nvidia but cannot install it. The driver
is "packed" with the old format of packages and the installation script
gets confused.

Any suggestion?

Cheers,

Blai

On 01/10/12 15:38, Blai Bonet wrote:

> I'm also having trouble with the nvidia driver. I installed Solaris 11 11/11
> in a Sun Ultra 20. Everything went fine until installing the desktop.
> Afterwards, I get kernel panics (and crash dumps) when using the supplied
> nividia driver.

Please provide the panic message and stack trace, at a minimum.
The kernel core file would also be really helpful
if it is not too much trouble to find a host.

The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log using the nv
driver will also help identify the specific NVIDIA
graphics hardware.

>                 However, the "nv" driver doesn't cause panics.  Unfortunately,
> the desktop won't run ok with the nv driver because it doesn't support the glx
> extension.
>
> I downloaded the driver from nvidia but cannot install it. The driver
> is "packed" with the old format of packages and the installation script
> gets confused.

Instructions for manual installation of drivers from nvidia.com:

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+x_win/NvidiaInstallation

John Martin <john.m.martin@...> writes:

> Please provide the panic message and stack trace, at a minimum.
> The kernel core file would also be really helpful
> if it is not too much trouble to find a host.
>
> The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log using the nv
> driver will also help identify the specific NVIDIA
> graphics hardware.

> Instructions for manual installation of drivers from nvidia.com:
>
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+x_win/NvidiaInstallation

The panic message was a page fault related to Xorg.
Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly because the system
reboots immediately. I don't know how to extract the message
and stack trace from the dump.

Where can I find instructions documentation about this?

I removed all the dumps from /var/crash (about 14 of them).
However, I will recreate the crash to extract the information
and also to upload the dump to a server.

In the mean time, I'll try to install the driver from NVIDIA
following the instructions you sent.

Thanks,

Blai